Morguard is proud to announce that the Coquitlam Centre has earned BOMA BEST Platinum Certification for its environmental leadership. This achievement is in recognition of the shopping centre’s excellence in energy and environmental management.
Platinum certification is awarded to buildings that have met the BOMA BEST Practices. Throughout the certification process in 2020, the Coquitlam Centre, which is celebrating its forty-second year in August, had to overcome several challenges due to the age of the building while implementing the updates. Their persistence was awarded with this impressive recognition.
Some key 2020 updates and programs include:
- Coquitlam Centre’s recycling program successfully diverted a rate of 53.05% of waste from the landfill. This equates to 413.04 metric tonnes, or 4,878 trees, 497,621 litres of oil and 6.8 million litres of water.
- The center worked with its recycling partners to increase the variety of items that can be recycled and make it easier for retailers to recycle glass, metal and plastic containers.
- In October 2019, the centre began accepting used gift cards at Guest Services for recycling. Up until the Spring of 2020, over 3,000 gift cards had been recycled.
- Two honeybee hives were installed on the Coquitlam Centre’s roof in May of 2020. At their peak in mid-July, the hives were home to between 80,000 and 100,000 honeybees.
- Online paperless forms were introduced that allow the Guest Services Team and customers to fill out forms such as Stroller Rentals and Release Forms digitally instead of using paper forms.
Congratulations to the Coquitlam Centre team for this high achievement and its commitment to the environment.